Thursday, February 24, 2011

The King's Speech: THE KING OF MOVIES FOR 2010!

Y'all, this was my FAVORITE MOVIE of all the Oscar noms this year. And my favorite movie of 2010! I'll be honest, I didn't really know much about the film at all before I walked in to the theater. And please note, I saw this movie 6 weeks after it had been released on Saturday afternoon and the theater was packed, PACKED I tell you!
I love going into a movie not really knowing what to expect. And when it's as great as this film, it makes my day. No, my weekend!

The story takes place as Prince Albert, Duke of York (Colin Firth) is, after a serious of events (the death of his father King George V and the passing of the thrown from his older brother, the Prince of Wales) becomes the King of England. It's revealed early on (at the beginning of the film in one of the most intense scenes of the film) that Albert has a severe speech impediment. His wife, Elizabeth (Helena Bonham Carter), seeks out noted speech pathologist, Lionel Logue (Geoffrey Rush) to help her husband overcome his fear. Lionel reluctantly accepts the job, but only under his conditions. Lionel begins to work with Albert before he is ever crowned King. The stakes become even higher to produce an eloquent product in the form of a King who can publicly speak with ease after Albert takes over the thrown.

WHAT'S SO GREAT ABOUT THIS FILM? OK...I'LL TELL YOU.... Like I've stated before (in my review of True Grit) I love me a good character study. Being King of a country must be at tough job (I wouldn't know, but I can imagine). Being King of a country with not only zero speaking skills (we've all seen some less than dynamic political figures pull off a well written speech), but an actual, clinical speech impediment, well it's more than tough. It's damn near impossible. (How good would Nolan Ryan have been without arms, y'all? Yes, arms are to baseball what speaking is to Kingness). Everyone has those moments in life when they know they should be better, or even great at something. But they're not. It's a humbling time, and learning to overcome adversity in an area where you are "expected" to excel can be trying for any human being. Of course, what makes someone better at anything in life is hard work and determination. Prince/King Albert's continued dedication to becoming a better King, in the form of someone who can truly, effectively communicate to his people is an endearing story and a great life lesson. His perseverance reminded me of one of my favorite quotes: "The difference between a goal and an accomplishment is discipline."  We can all learn a little about discipline from Prince/King Albert.

As for the players...well played you guys (and girls). WELL PLAYED (says while giving an honorary standing ovation in front of my computer). Colin Firth, you sweet, sweet man. You are my British George Clooney.  Firth never disappoints me, even when he plays in silly, romantic comedy leads. He's smart, believable, real, and precious. He's a talented actor who really works at his craft to play each role to the best of his, and most people's ability. I will go on record and say that I love him. Geoffrey Rush: who doesn't like this guy? Raise your hand, 'cause I'd like to know. I'm going to unfriend you on Facebook for this! Pirates of the Caribbean, Finding Nemo, Frida, Munich, Shakespeare in Love. Talk about a guy who can land him some Oscar worthy films. Will he take home the statue for  Best Supporting Actor this year? Sadly, I doubt it. My ballot (which I'll reveal tomorrow!) casts Christian Bale as the recipient. It's a tough call, though. (A typical case of the head voting against the heart on this one!)  And Helena Bonham Carter...you may have crazy hair and be a little bit of a weirdo, but who cares. You can act, lady. Sweeney Todd, Alice in Wonderland, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (pattern, anyone?) I don't think she'll get best supporting actress, though this is also a shame. I think Melissa Leo (The Fighter) will get it. But I would love to give this award to Melissa, Helena, and little Hailee Steinfield (True Grit).  But, turns out, I don't have as much pull with The Academy as I thought I did.

I asked my friend Steve Good to review The King's Speech. I wasn't going to ask anyone to review this one alongside me because I knew my review was going to be pretty thorough, to say the least. (If you're still reading this right now, you're agressively nodding your head yes!) Steve is a movie buff and a great writer, so I'm thrilled to have him review this movie. You can follow STEVE ON TWITTER  to read other noteworthy Steveisms.



STEVE GOOD'S TWO CENTS:

The King’s Speech is hands down, the best movie released in 2010.
Boom! There, I said it. I’m sorry, hip Facebook movie. My apologies to
Christopher Nolan’s crazy dream within a dream flick. See ya later
Natalie Portman as an insane ballerina.  This year belongs to the tale
of the stammering King and a quirky linguist.

The King’s Speech (deftly directly by Tom Hooper) tells the story of
King George VI’s (Colin Firth) unlikely rise to the throne of Britain
and LionelLogue (Geoffrey Rush), an unorthodox speech therapist who
helps the King overcome adebilitating vocal stutter to find his voice
and guide his people through the horrors of World War II.

Unlike Black Swan, The Social Network, or Inception, this is not a
movie dripping in flash and style.  This is a movie that relies on its actors and
dialogue to tell a compelling story and this is where The Kings Speech
earns its rightful place upon the 2010 movie throne.
Go ahead and call this movie The Firth’s Speech because that is
exactly what Colin Firth will be delivering come Oscar Night (I’ll
find and eat an Oscar if this does not happen.)  He’s captured almost
every Best Actor award this season for his fantastic portrayal of King
George VI. George VI is a timid and psychologically scarred
self-conscious man who is and trapped inside his own verbal prison.
Firth plays him with such an honesty and passion that the audience
immediately wants to see George VI succeed.  Geoffrey Rush gives an
equally wonderful performance as Lionel Logue.

Unlike Christian Bale’s crazy addict character in The Fighter, Rush
doesn’t have a wild and outrageous character to use to gain the
audience’s attention. Bale is going to win for Best Supporting Actor,
but Rush really deserves his second Oscar for such a beautiful and
understated performance in which he really lets Logue’s compassion
shine.  Logue is simply a man who has seen the best in his King and he
wants to help him express that greatness and Rush perfectly portrays
this aspect.  The entire movie hinges on the relationship between
these two men and both Firth and Rush knock it out of the park (or
pitch if you want to use a more British-friendly Cricket reference
instead). The rest of the cast is filled with equally wonderful
performances (such as Helena Bonham Carter as the Queen and Guy Pearce
as George’s brother King Edward VIII), but movie succeeds as much as
it does based on Firth’s and Rush’s performances.

So, in a nutshell, I really dug this movie.  Now if I could just learn
a convincing British accent...

No comments:

Post a Comment