Tuesday, February 22, 2011

True Grit: Proof That A Remake IS Better Than The Original

The excitement of seeing True Grit was multiplied times one zillion when I found out True Grit beat out the contender (Little Fockers) for our annual family Christmas Night at the movies. We were a bit worried mom was going to overrule all of us and go for the comedy, but she didn't. And I'm pretty sure she enjoyed it more than anyone.

True Grit is a remake of the 1969 John Wayne western with the same name. It's a little bit edgier, and a lot bit funnier than the original, both inevitable outcomes of a Coen Brothers product. Any time Joel and Ethan have their hands on a project, I'm usually going to like it, or at the least, appreciate it. 

The story follow Rooster Cogburn (Jeff Bridges), Mattie Ross (Hailee Steinfeld), and LaBoeuf (Matt Damon) as they seek to avenge Mattie's father's death. Tom Chaney (Josh Brolin), was Frank Ross' ranch hand who killed him. Mattie "hires" Rooster and, inevitably, LaBoeuf as well, only because Rooster and LaBoeuf decide they have a better chance of hunting down Tom Chaney together. (Note: WHY wouldn't you hire LaBoeuf? It's Matt Damon, y'all!) Calling 14-year old Mattie stubborn is an understatement. She's got the negotiating skills of Lindsay Lohan's attorneys and the cut-throat management style of Donald Trumph. All hidden behind what appears to be a rough, tough, no-nonsense exterior. But we can all tell (we being my parents and my brother on Christmas night) she's just plain terrified. The journey through Arkansas continues for several days and it's during their journey I fell in love with all of the characters. I love me a good character study, and True Grit was top notch. Yes, there is drama (one of the three doesn't make it and one of them is almost bites the dust from a near fatal rattlesnake bite). But more importantly, the unique relationship between the three of them, and more specifically, between Mattie and Rooster, tugged at the old heart strings for me. Sometimes the most unexpected pairings make for some of the best stories. It was smart, heart felt, and made me laugh time and time again.  If you haven't seen this movie, go see it. 

True Grit was robbed at the Golden Globes, but received it's proper nods at the SAGs and from The Academy. Will Jeff Bridges win the Oscar for best picture? Probably not. I hate to say that, because I loved his character so much. It takes a lot of effort to play someone who doesn't really care about much. But The Dude is going up against Colin Firth (The King's Speech) and I'll do 100 jumping jacks blindfolded if Firth doesn't win that award. I'd also like to make sure Hailee Steinfeld's performance doesn't go unnoticed. She plays a super smart, almost too big for her britches, character. The character, Mattie Ross is a mere 14 years old in this movie. When filming for True Grit began, Hailee Steinfeld was only 12 years old. I'm pretty sure I was worrying about what color stretch pants and Sam and Libby ballet flats I was going to wear to the school dance at 12, not performing Academy Award Nominee worthy performances at that age. All I can say is, watch out Tatum O'Neal!

I asked my dear friend and business partner, Clay Barton to review True Grit. After I saw the movie, I knew Clay would really enjoy it, especially Jeff Bridges character (this has nothing to do with the fact he actually looked a lot like Jeff Bridges up until a month ago...see pic to the left...) Clay chooses the movies he watches wisely, so when he said he enjoyed it, I knew he'd be the one to write the review. Follow him HERE ON TWITTER!



CLAY BARTON'S TWO CENTS:

 Pritay good western. True Grit definitely carries one of my favorite characteristics of many westerns. It's the 'this is just a story that once happened' tone. There is no super evil or perfect hero or history altering event, just people. All of which have swung back and forth from good to bad, as most do. And this is a particular time when these characters truest traits are brought out. That's what's appealing about westerns, they are real and relatable (as much as can be expected for those of us living in 2011). The people are people and we get to see a heightened but realistic version of them for a period of time. True Grit does this well. There is one exception, which I can't get over. And that is Mattie Ross (played by Haillee Steinfeld, age 14). To be clear, this is not a criticism of her performance. She did great. It's the character. The movie is set in the late 1800's and I am supposed to believe that Mattie (also 14) is this smart and allowed to be in charge of so much. She is not only allowed by her family but the rest of the public puts up with it and accepts it? C'mon. Now, this is an exceptional character, that is why the story is what it is. It's just hard to listen to her speak and negotiate without my mind going to Dawson's Creek where everyone spoke as no one I knew (or know now) speaks. It just felt so unrealistic that it was hard to ignore. Annoyed, yes, enough to ruin the movie, hell naw. Outside of that....Rooster Cogburn (the best name in the history of names) is probably my favorite movie character in the history of movie characters. (Possible exceptions are David Levinson, Donald Ripley, and Dr. Ian Malcolm.) Jeff Bridges remains one of the best at what he does. Matt Damon as LeBoeuf is very likable and did pretty well for a dude from Boston. Josh Brolin, who seems to be the perfect fit for the 'bad guy' just seemed like he didn't really care to be in the movie. Sucks because you know he is better. I just kept thinking, "c'mon man, COME ON, be a badder bad man." I would add this to my DVD collection (which only houses about 40 movies). Mainly so I can memorize Rooster's lines and try to use them at grocery stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment