Tuesday, January 25, 2011

And the Oscar is Going To...

Well, well. I think the Academy nailed it this year. Since last year when they decided to add 5 more movies to the best picture category, I have huffed and puffed that they are forcing films into a category that don't really deserve it. But, after having seen 9 of the 10 films nominated, I am happy with all of them. All of them. I guess after this year's movies, I would rather struggle to make my decision than be upset that some truly great films didn't make the cut.

I'm excited to see True Grit had a good showing after pretty much being snubbed by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association at the Golden Globes. Even more excited to see little Hailee Steinfield (only 14 years old...12 when they filmed the movie) receive the nomination for Best Supporting Actress. Also another favorite of mine this year, The King's Speech. Truly remarkable. I saw this movie on a Saturday afternoon 6 weeks after it had been released and the theater was jam packed. And rightfully so. Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush are my new favorite duo. Natalie Portman also earned a well deserved nomination for Black Swan. While the movie was disturbing to say the least (I drank during this movie), her performance was truly amazing. 

Over the next few weeks, I'll be taking a break from the normal sequential movie review of past Oscar winners to focus on all 10 films for Best Picture. I'll even have a few noteworthy people chime in on their thoughts for this year's pics, make my own predictions for the random pairing of hosts that is Anne Hathaway and James Franco, and allow you all to vote on who will be the the best and worst dressed at the ceremony.  Make sure to check back to read reviews and find out where these movies fall on my totally flawed scoring system for predicting Best Picture.

The nominees this year for Best Picture are...
Black Swan
The Fighter
The Kids Are Alright
The Kings Speech
127 Hours
The Social Network
Toy Story 3
True Grit
Winter's Bone

For a complete list of all the nominations for this year, CLICK HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment